IANG Visa for Hong Kong

The government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has designed a special scheme called Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) visa to encourage non-local graduates to stay and work as professionals in Hong Kong.

According to the rules for IANG, non-local students who have earned a degree or higher education certification from a full-time local program authorized in Hong Kong, can enjoy the option of applying for stay (or return) and work in Hong Kong. The IANG visa application is quota-free and non-sector specific. The IANG scheme does not apply to nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Republic of Korea, Nepal and Vietnam.

IANG visa application

Graduates who wish to submit an IANG visa application in Hong Kong, but have not yet received an official certificate from their institution can submit an application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for Hong Kong professional recruitment using Form ID990A. As a supporting document for your application, a Letter of Certification issued by the university or institution must be included. Typically, a prospective graduate can apply for the Letter of Certification at the academic regulations or records office of their enrolled university or institution.

Alternatively, all non-local graduates can submit their IANG visa application within six months after their date of graduation, which is the date shown on the Letter of Certification or Certificate of Graduation, to retain their categorization as fresh graduates. As per the regulations, all fresh graduates can submit an application to stay and work in Hong Kong without having actually secured an offer of employment at the time of application. All IANG visa applicants who meet the current normal immigration requirements may be approved to stay for a period of 12 months with no conditions, except for this maximum duration of stay.


IANG supporting documents needed

To ensure a smooth application process, the supporting documents for an IANG visa application should include the following:


  • Correctly filled application forms
  • A current/latest photograph of the applicant.
  • A photocopy of the applicant’s valid travel document (eg: passports) containing personal information particulars, date of issue, date of expiry and/or details of any re-entry permit held (if applicable).
  • For an applicant who is currently staying in Hong Kong, a photocopy of your valid travel document page containing the latest arrival stamp, landing slip, extension of stay label in Hong Kong is required.
  • For residents of Mainland China who have not been issued with a travel document, they can submit a photocopy of their Republic of China resident identity card.
  • A photocopy of the applicant’s Hong Kong identity card (if applicable).
  • A Photocopy of transcripts, academic records, graduation certificate or an official supporting letter from the degree awarding university or institution, clearly showing the applicant’s attainment of undergraduate or higher qualification certification in a full-time and locally-accredited program in Hong Kong.


Timeline for approval

In general, the process for applying for an IANG visa in Hong Kong takes about two weeks to process after being submitted by non-local fresh graduates, and all the required documents are received by the department. For non-local graduates, it usually takes approximately four weeks.

All applications are processed and determined by the Immigration Department of Hong Kong. The approval of applications is entirely discretionary and may be subject to changes in latest government policies.


IANG visa extensions in Hong Kong

Individuals who are able to obtain the work permit under the IANG scheme will generally be granted an initial stay period of 12 months without other conditions. They have to apply for an IANG visa extension of stay in Hong Kong within four weeks before their initial maximum limit of stay expires. Upon applying for IANG visa extension, non-local graduates are required to have secured an offer of employment which is at a level commonly taken up by degree holders and the remuneration package is at market level. For those individuals who have established or joined a business venture in Hong Kong are required to submit proof of their business establishment and operations along with their IANG visa extension Hong Kong application.

Frequently Asked Questions

Our IANG visa Hong Kong team is here to help

For all matters involving IANG visa applications and extensions, please feel free to contact our professional team of consultants by phone at +852 2772 2128, or by email at cs3@asianbridgeconsulting.com.

TEL : +852-2772-2128
MAIL : cs3@asianbridgeconsulting.com